Las Vegas police issue warrant for Cristiano Ronaldo's DNA in rape investigation


Investigators have secured a warrant for soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo’s DNA as part of a sexual assault case that was reopened by Las Vegas authorities last year, police confirmed on Thursday. 

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports that the agency is “taking the same steps in this case as in any other sexual assault to facilitate the collection of DNA evidence.” 

Las Vegas police said “an official request has been submitted to Italian authorities.” Ronaldo plays for the Italian club Juventus.

“Due to this being an ongoing investigation, we have no additional information or comment on this case at this time,” the statement read. 

An attorney for Ronaldo confirmed Thursday a warrant had been sought after a report in The Wall Street Journal. 

Kathryn Mayorga alleged in a lawsuit filed in September that Ronaldo sexually assaulted her inside a Las Vegas hotel room in June 2009 and his handlers obstructed a criminal investigation. Days after the lawsuit became public, a spokesperson for the Las Vegas Metropolitan police told USA TODAY Sports that it had relaunched an investigation into Mayorga’s allegations. 



Read Story